04 August 2010

Parakeets In My Backyard?

Posted by Happy Homemaker UK

Now I am no bird expert, but on our first morning, I heard what sounded like 'tropical bird squawking'. Being 'sleuthy', I discovered there were parakeets in our backyard! LOVE that!

According to Telegraph.co.uk, ''the birds first came to Britain as pets but some escaped into the wild and are now a common site in suburban South East England''.

Ring-Neck Parakeet                                                         (image: telegraph.co.uk)

The article states, ''the population has now reached a record 20,000. Bedecked with emerald green feathers and a rose-red beak, the ring-neck parakeet was brought to the UK from India and was first reported in the wild in 1969''.

So we marched right out and bought ourselves a see-through bird feeder so we can hopefully see them up close.


So now I don't need to buy my son a pet bird, right?

Article Link: www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/wildlife/3531948/Parakeets-now-outnumber-native-British-birds-after-escaping-into-the-wild.html

[You're Invited! If you enjoyed this post, please consider following me: www.HappyHomemakerUK.blogspot.com ]

XO
Laura

8 comments:

Kat said...

Love your blog! Can't wait to really look through it and get some great ideas!

Laura | Happy Homemaker UK said...

Hi Kat,
Really?! Thank you so much for visiting!!

JoAnn said...

How nice Laura...all we have (that I've seen so far) are pigeons and squirrels! OH...the neighbor's cat was in our yard today too!!

Laura | Happy Homemaker UK said...

Keep an eye (or ear) out for them - my neighbor called them "Cobham Parakeets", so there must be a lot of them in your neck of the woods?

Anonymous said...

Hey Laura...My daughter would be beside herself to have wild parakeets! (She hopes to have a big cage and a bird~ hate to dissapoint, not happening!) I am enjoying your fun blogs about your new adventure!
Molly Bell Malone

Laura | Happy Homemaker UK said...

Hi Molly!
Now if we could just train them to come when we call them : )

Thank you for following me. It is so nice to have you here!

Limey said...

My nanna lived in the Box Hill area for decades and these birds dominated her garden! I loved them but locals see them as a bit of a pest!

The Loeckens said...

Where oh where did you find the birdfeeder? Must have one!